Sunday, May 23, 2010

Prayer Update

My short-term mission trip to serve refugee families in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, is coming up fast! I want to thank everyone who has so generously and lovingly supported me through financial gifts and commitments to prayer. Praise the Lord - my support-raising goal has been met and I have the personal assistance I need to be able to stay for the whole summer. You are all such a blessing and encouragement to me.

This week I learned a little more about what is happening in Ft. Wayne and how I get to be involved. I will be teaching several ESL (English as a Second Language) classes and Bible studies throughout the week to small groups of adults and teenagers. The students are mostly beginner-level English language learners from places such as Burma, Mexico, Yemen, Haiti, and various African countries. One of the groups I get to teach is a women's club that meets in our house on Tuesday afternoons for Bible study and fellowship. Just recently, the Yemeni men have consented to let the Yemeni women come to the women's club - which is a huge breakthrough. If you would like to learn more about the international refugee ministry there, you can visit their website: http://www.ihouse.cc/.

As I prepare to leave on June 5th, please pray:
- for a safe journey. My friend, Leigh Ann, and I are driving up together, and it is about 10 hours away, so it will be a nice long day trip.
- that my first week will be smooth and filled with blessings and provision. I will meet a lot of new people who I will be working alongside, who I will be teaching, and who will be helping me with my daily needs.
- that I will be flexible, gracious, and full of love. Trying to figure out new living arrangements and training new personal attendants is exciting, but also difficult for me and it can be stressful. I want to be able to respond to everyone's help and any unexpected challenges with all the grace and optimism God can give me.

Most of all, right now please pray that God will prepare my heart for ministry, that I can be faithful to do his will, and that I will be humble and willing to be stretched and challenged as well.

I plan to post a prayer update at least once a week so you can know how to pray and also how your prayers are being answered. Thank you once again for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment