Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Single Purpose

"So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. ...Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God." - 2 Corinthians 5:16-20

I'm thinking a lot this week about what my purpose for living is in Christ, and what that should look like. As I study Jesus' life, I'm convinced that my purpose it broad yet defined, and that daily life - with all the "interruptions" and "detours" that life brings - will be a response to this one purpose... for Jesus, his purpose was to do his Father's will, which was to die for the sins of the world. His 30+ year journey to the cross was full of zigzags created by relationships, teachings, and acts of love, and yet everything he did pointed to, led to, his main purpose.

My purpose is also to do the Father's will, and I think that he wants me to be an ambassador, carrying his message of reconciliation. On Tuesday afternoons, we have a class called Bridges, which trains us in how to speak to Muslim people about Jesus. Yesterday the teacher said that we need to have the attitude of an ambassador, representing our King and speaking on his behalf, demonstrating what it is like to be a citizen of Heaven... pointing people to Jesus, just as John the Baptist did. I think this is true of the way we should approach all people, not just Muslims. This is an occupation of joy and hope! It's not up to me to convince or change or fix anyone (the Holy Spirit is much more capable of that) - it's just to tell the good news of who Jesus is and what he can do, what he has done! What a beautiful purpose!

And it's simple, if I really believe in the message. And it is exciting, if I really reflect on Jesus' power at work in my own life. And it's natural, if I really abide in Christ and hug tight to his vine. It is not limited to location, people group, or even abilities and strength, because it is based solely on who I am in Christ. There is not a list of requirements or goals that I have to meet, because it is a lifestyle of following, trusting, and sharing that I just need to faithfully "roll along" in. When I do, my purpose will play itself out in everything I do and say, in every relationship I encounter.

I'm so thankful for my purpose, and I pray I will be faithful to it all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment