Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Horn of Africa Relief

Being in a place where some of my dearest friends are refugees has given me a new perspective on the world. I used to look at Yahoo! news' articles on movie stars and health food tips, but now my eyes go to world issue stories that involve war and natural disasters that tear countries and communities to pieces. It's heartbreaking stuff, and hard for an optimist to read and learn about, but it is better to know, to be bothered and burdened by it, and to ask God how I can help, rather than look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist.

It seems that there is always somewhere in Africa that is facing extreme crises, and recently the countries of Somalia and Kenya are being hit hard with a severe drought and famine. I know and love several Somalis and Kenyans here in Fort Wayne, so this crisis has my attention, and I ask you to pray with me for the victims who are suffering and have lost loved ones during this time.

International Teams has a team of servants on location in Kenya who are working very hard to provide relief for these victims. You can read about the situation and I-Teams work there, and you can be a part of the aid and relief, at this website: http://www.iteams.org/us/2011/08/horn-of-africa-crisis/. Please read about it, share it with others, and remember to express the love and compassion of Jesus for refugees in your community and around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment