Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fall leaf party

Yesterday the youth came over to I-House for their first service project - leaf raking! We've been praying for opportunities for the kids to help and give back to the community, and they talk about how thankful they are for the people at I-House, so we thought it might be the best place for them to start. I don't know what I expected, but I was completely overwhelmed with joy and pride for all the kids by the end.

Fifteen teenagers and ten leaders came, and in two hours they raked and cleaned the front and back yards of I-House, put away all the toys, soccer and basketball goals, furniture, and playsets, cleaned up the garages, and swept the driveway and parking lot. For those who have visited and seen the extensive property here - more than an acre - you know this is no small project!

But besides the impressiveness of the amount of work accomplished, I was really proud of the quality of their work and character. The kids worked together in teams, without arguing, complaining, or fighting, and they worked hard and steady (with a few playful jumps into mounds of leaves), with a wonderful attitude and big smiles on their faces. Whether they were sweeping, pushing the leave blower, riding the tractor, dragging a tarp full of leaves, or lugging tables to the back pavilion shelter, they were the picture of "cheerful givers" and "joyful servants." There was love and joy and life, and I am so thankful for each and every one of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment