Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Tread: An Ode to Svante the Svede

This week I turned in my 8-year-old wheelchair, Svante, and upgraded to a sweet little hot-rod of a chair... which I will write more about on another day. But for now, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. So much has happened, so much has changed over the past eight years, and Svante has been with me through it all. So here is an ode that I wrote for him today. 


Tread: An Ode to Svante the Svede
By Connie Chandler

We’ve been through a lot in eight years - 
Mud, Gravel, Snow, Sand
Grass, Carpet, Wet Cement
And even shallow pools of water.

We’ve made designs, made a mess, and made our mark.
We weren’t afraid to plunge in, plow ahead, and push forward.
Every time we were on the edge of something new, I felt you whisper, “Go!”
Everywhere we went, our tread told a story.

Sometimes we needed a little help – 
We slipped out of control,
We spun until we were stuck,
We stumbled and stopped at stairs, curbs, and potholes.

But sometimes we were smooth sailing -
Hiking mountain trails, zipping along greenways, 
Crossing bridges, exploring paths with hidden endings, 
Further up and further in, faster and vaster than I thought life could be.

And in those moments, I didn’t feel like I was sitting down.
I didn’t feel weak or limited or helpless.
I felt powerful and adventurous and truly me…
I felt free.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the stories those tire treads tell. I love this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete