Thursday, July 22, 2010

Chin-Zo Worship

Monday morning, the sight of two full roosters in a pot on the stove should have been a clue to me that it would not be a normal day. That afternoon, the house was quickly filled with 26 Chin-Zo people - 15 kids between ages 1 month and 14 years, and 11 adults who spoke no English at all. I was completely overwhelmed, and ran to the safety of my room. After much prayer, I decided to re-enter the frey and see what happened.

Instantly, I met a new friend, Lian (sounds like Leigh Ann!) who is 24 years old held her new baby close. I was invited to dinner, and though I was wary of literal "chicken fingers," I decided it was a risk worth taking. I received a bowl of sticky rice and started adding cooked celery, carrots, and chicken to it. SO GOOD!

Then the group gathered in the living room for what Thang Ngaih explained would be Chin-Zo worship. I asked shyly if I could sit with them, and they welcomed me. The man who opened in prayer began by looking at me and saying, "Sorry, no speak English good..." but I quickly tried to tell him it is ok, he didn't need to try. So the service was prayed, sung, and preached in Zo. And it was beautiful. I even got video of one of the songs they sang, so if you'd like to hear it, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8EWWZO1pH4. I asked Thang Ngaih what it means, and she said, "It mean, I am poor, I am not strong, I am not wise... so I come to Jesus to help me."

The pastor spoke for quite a while, and even though I didn't know what he said, I could tell that it was God's Truth. Occasionally, he would smile so big and pause, and then say, "Hallelujah," and the group would respond "Amen." Three times in a row they would have this call and response, and then he would continue with his message. I picked up on the pattern, and joined in the "Amens," because I knew that my heart agreed with his.

I read this book this week called "Castaway Kid," by R.B. Mitchell. It's an excellent book, and I highly recommend it, but one chapter in particular blessed me, maybe because of the circumstances I find myself in. In the chapter, Robert is praying and worshipping God with an African brother from Congo, and this is what he says: "We come from such different tribes... yet the same God understands and loves us."

Amen, brother, I agree with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment