Thursday, November 4, 2010

Facebook vs. Fellowship

Last week after youth night, I was talking to Jayne about my ideals. It went something like this:

"Wouldn't it be great if our teenagers just wanted to be with us? We use computer time to do Facebook as a reward and incintive, because it seems to be their highest motivator... but I'd love it if we could say: 'When you get finished with your homework we all get to hang out and tell stories and goof off together!' and then have them rush through their homework to get to this amazing opportunity. I know it's unrealistic and naive to think that would ever happen... but it's cool to think about."

Deep in my heart, I believe that everyone longs for authentic relationship and quality fellowship. And I think it is a great need, especially in the lives of our teenagers. But I wonder if the world's messages of high-tech junk and social networking has dulled kids' realization of this longing and need. Can we get back to that? And how do we do it? I have no idea, so I just prayed a lot this week.

Fast forward to this Wednesday night... There's a Scrabble game going on between three volunteers and four students, and an Uno game between four volunteers and four students. I look out the window and two guys are dancing on the blacktop to music blasting from an ipod. There's even a penmanship contest going on! Is this what I think it is? Is it students engaging with volunteers - kids just wanting to hang out with us for fun??

I love that God works outside of our realm of possibilities. And I love when he shows that off in situations like this. Pray for our volunteers, and pray for our kids... God's doing a really cool thing on Wednesday nights.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet friend, I wish we could reignite more than just the teenage population to real, authentic community -- the sweet and simple desire to just be together... Sometimes I think the adults of our generation are just as isolated, by choice; we're too busy, too intimidated, too caught up in our own biases to be in real relationship with each other. Makes me sad, and I know it makes our Father even sadder. Love & miss you!! ~ Kristin (not Evan) :)

    ReplyDelete