Friday, December 24, 2010

A Christmas Eve blessing

Last night Kevan and I were listening to Christmas music while driving home under a clear midnight sky. An old familiar song came on - one that I think has been sadly overplayed and nearly killed through its millions of renditions - but for some reason, last night this verse rang true and clear in my heart and touched my soul in a new way.

Maybe it was because of the time I've spent this year in international ministry, because the words made me think of the faces of my friends from all over the world, who  have been oppressed in so many ways and who now know first-hand the power and glory of the Lord who has set them free. But I know there are still so many who are oppressed - economically, socially, and spiritually - who need to experience that power and glory in their lives.

So I sing this song on this Christmas Eve as a blessing on those who are free and those who are not yet free - claiming for them the promises and hope and the gospel of peace of Christ the Lord. May those who know him today praise his name forever!

"Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.

Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother,
And in his name all oppression shall cease.

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.

Christ is the Lord! Oh praise his name forever - 
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
His power and glory ever more proclaim!"

No comments:

Post a Comment