Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bittersweet treats

I think I had my first taste of Turkish Delight today at Women's Club. The lady who made it has also made baklava and rice pudding in the past, among other things one just cannot pick up at Wal-mart, and her treats are always good so naturally I had to try it. It wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be... kind of nutty and carmelly, but not in a "Snickers bar" kind of way. Not sure how I feel about it, except that it made me feel rather British and slightly evil, since it's the famous treat of the White Witch in Narnia.

After the Turkish Delight, I had a cup of coffee which was prepared for me by two ladies - a Burmese friend who made it black with sugar, and a Chinese friend who added hazelnut creamer. Again, not sure how I feel about it, because it was, afterall, coffee which I just can't seem to acquire a like for no matter how hard I try, but the sugar and hazelnut was nice... could I have a cup of sugar and hazelnut please? And that would be a liquid sort-of version of Turkish Delight... hmmmm... The bittersweetness of it all is a bit overwhelming...

It was really good to be back at Women's Club. Tea time is so much fun, especially when we haven't been together in weeks - so many hugs and smiles, and even if the ladies don't know much English, they can say, "Hello teacher! How are you!" I had three new students, and five previous students in my little ESL class, and we read the parable of the Good Samaritan. I think they understood it, because when I asked which man had "good love," they all agreed it was the third one, because he stopped and helped, and when I asked which man we should be like, they all agreed that we should be like the third one and "help, clean, give medicine, and take care" of people even when they are not our friends. I love when they want to talk about the story!  And I want so much for them to understand the depth of God's love for them portrayed in stories like this: "That while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." I think the Holy Spirit still has some work to do before some of the ladies grasp it, but anything is possible through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment