Thursday, September 22, 2011

To fight against a downcast soul

"My soul is downcast within me; therefore, I will remember you,
from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon - from Mount Mizar."
~ Psalm 42:6, NIV

This week I've been fighting to not be discouraged. I am anxious to bounce back physically, to see and visit with people, to get projects done, and to return to work at I-House. But it's hard when the mind and heart want to do things that the body is just not able to do. I really appreciate your prayers, and ask that you keep them coming! My neck, arms, and hands need to regain strength, and I need to build up more physical stamina to be active and social.

Memorizing and meditating on Psalm 42 has been really good for me lately. Today, I studied verse 6, and was very encouraged. The psalmists (the Sons of Korah) choose, in the midst of being downcast, to remember the Lord. I looked up the cross-references in my Bible for the three places that are mentioned, and they are territories that God promised to his people, and that he gave them. He kept his promises, and through his own power He blessed his people.

So today, I am remembering promises that God has made and kept in my life - and there are a lot of them! They are evidence of his faithfulness to me, and testimonies of the work he will continue... I can fight against discouragement and put my hope in him, because "He who promised is faithful" (Hebrews 10:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment