Friday, November 22, 2013

The end of the in-home care agency experiment

I got fired today from a home health care agency. At least, that's how it felt when I got the five-day notice of dismissal from them. The letter was dated 11/18, arrived 11/21, and dismissal date was 11/22. Hmmm... Well good riddance, I suppose, since they couldn't allow any of their aids to actually lift me out of my chair (which is kind of a crucial aspect of my care). But what a weird feeling, to have a company ask a client to go away! Thus ends my social experiment with in-home care agencies, at least for a while.

I am thankful for all the kind and hardworking aids who have come into my home and helped me so much... they are absolutely amazing people. But I've learned that home health agencies, as they are run right now, don't really work with my active and social and spontaneous life. So I'm gonna take a risk and go off the government-controlled radar, and see how it goes with my friends around me in my community taking care of the daily Connie-ness. It's gonna be an adventure for all of us, and one that I would really appreciate your prayers for!

In the meantime, if there are any business-savvy friends out there who would love the challenge of starting up a home care agency that targets young, active people who happen to have a disability that requires some care, let me know - the ladies of the Hobbit Hole have tons of ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment