Saturday, September 8, 2018

Creative and Courageous in Colorado

I recently took a trip that I have dreamed about for a while, and didn't think would ever actually happen. I took a train on an 18-hour ride from Chicago to Denver, and spent a few days in the spectacular mountains of Colorado! On my own, this would be impossible. But the Lord went with me, and he made it possible for two very dear friends to go with us too! 


My brother, Kevan, has taught me that anything is accessible when people are creative and courageous, and I definitely saw that demonstrated on this adventure. Here's some examples...


  • First of all, my dad is a true McGyver-genius. This summer, he adapted my portable "Connie lift" (which connects directly to the back of my chair and plugs in to run off the battery) so that it's made of two pieces of light and strong aluminum, making it even easier to pack, transport, and handle (in my preppy-looking golf club bag!). This baby went everywhere with us, and did all the lifting so the girls and I were safe and comfortable the whole time.
  • I have to give major kudos to the state of Colorado for their accessible restrooms and transportation. Big, private, family restrooms were basically everywhere, so I never had to cut our outings short to run back to the hotel multiple times a day. Family restrooms in public places are. the. BEST. (Take note, rest of America.)
  • The sleeper car attendants on the train were really wonderful and helpful, checking on me frequently, taking room-service meal orders, and providing three extra pillows just so I could comfortably sleep on the cot through the night (which I did... slept like a log!).
  • Then there's the waiter at Hard Rock Cafe in Denver... the silverware was too heavy and cumbersome for me to handle, and he couldn't find plasticware in their kitchen. I told him it was fine and I'd make it work, but he ran outside (in the rain) and across the street to get a plastic fork from another restaurant, and brought it back for me anyway.
  • Thank you to the National Parks for being wheelchair-friendly! There were paths I could take everywhere we went - paved or dirt, flat or hilly, but always scenic and beautiful. It was such a blessing to feel free to hike to summits, stroll along sparkling lakes, and climb red rocks! 



  • My favorite story from the trip was in Estes Park at the aerial tramway, which claimed to be accessible. True, there was a ramp, and true, there were no steps, but... to get from the ramp to the tramcar, there was a pretty hefty gap that my chair wouldn't cross. The two middle-aged ladies in charge did their best but realized the challenge was beyond them. Just when I thought they would say "Sorry, we can't do it," they looked at each other and both said, "We'll call Adrian." A couple minutes later, the tram came down the mountain toward us, and a young guy with sunglasses on could be seen, fists on hips like Superman, and a wide confident grin on his face. Adrian, I presume, I thought, amused but doubtful of his abilities. He came over and took a good look at all angles of my chair, asked a couple good questions about it (NOT including, "How fast does that thing go?") and tested some handholds. Then he gave me a few instructions on how to angle my wheels and a few explanations of what he was about to try, and before I could be scared, I was safely in the tramcar! Adrian is a magician! No, but he's an engineering student who, I'm convinced, has other disabled people in his life... this was clearly not his first attempt. He actually had adapted the platform at the top of the mountain so that it truly was more accessible. So we went to the top, got a coffee and some souvenirs, fed the chipmunks, and then let Adrian accompany us safely back to the bottom.


  • Last but definitely not least, Pam and Rachel - the most creative and courageous of all! They both were full of energy, strength, optimism, and hope through the whole journey. Nothing phased them. They constantly were paying attention to find the best places, views, and activities that we could do together, so that I forgot that I had a disability at all. On the last day, the only disappointment we faced was that we couldn't figure out how to navigate the mineral hotsprings spa that claimed to be accessible, but really wasn't at all. We'd been looking forward to it all week, but I tried to forget it and hide my disappointment. But these girls took me back to the hotel, ran a hot bath scented with lavender oil, turned on soothing music, and gave me some time to soak and relax. A perfect, peaceful end to a thrilling and adventurous week. Pam and Rachel were the perfect people to join me, and they made this a trip I will cherish forever. 



Whatever limits or challenges you face, remember that God is creative and courageous, and the master of tackling what seems impossible to us. When we put our hope in him and look for people around us who live out these aspects of his image, the possibilities are endless - and adventure awaits!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas,
    You are so interesting! I don't believe I've truly read through anything like that before. So wonderful to discover another person with a few unique thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is something that is required on the internet, someone with a bit of originality! If you want to read Christmas Quotes For Instagram you have to see the link
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete