Friday, November 2, 2018

Push, Pull, Squeeze, Hold

I've taken my Spinraza treatments to the next level!

In October I received dose #7, and realized I've been doing this for a year now. I feel more energetic and have longer-lasting stamina. I breathe well without being daily dependent on Albuterol. I have more movement in my fingers.

But I feel that there is a lot of unknown and untapped potential for my muscles. For 25 years, I've been wheelchair-bound, unable to bear weight, and slowly using my arms and legs less and less. Things are tight and small and weak, but I wonder if that could change now... What if I could open doors again? What if I could brush my own hair again? What if I could help with my own transfers? No one seems to know what is possible, so let's find out! It's a bit like Spider-Man, getting new superpowers and figuring out what he is capable of and how to use them...


I talked with my neurologist about this, and he agreed and prescribed physical therapy. Last week, I went to a consultation, and explained my situation to the PT. After an interview and exam, and copious note-taking, he seemed really excited to take on this challenge with me, and said we should start with 2 sessions a week for 8 weeks, and see what happens. So, after basically 25 years, I am back in PT!

My PT assigned me some homework to do in between sessions. These are muscle contraction exercises I can do in my chair or in bed, by myself. In our sessions so far, we've been doing isometric exercises, which means he will raise my arm or leg to a certain suspended level and tell me to try to hold it up, or at least support it as it slowly falls. We also do resistance exercises. It doesn't look like I'm doing anything, but it's hard work for me! Even though I'm not actually moving much, my heart rate goes up and I break into a sweat because I'm focusing on trying to get my muscles to respond - push my fists against inanimate objects, pull my foot up and down on the mat, squeeze my shoulder blades together, and hold... everything. I think the holding is the hardest part so far; with every exercise, I'm supposed to hold the position for 10 seconds. That tension is difficult and exhausting to maintain. (It feels like there's a life metaphor in there, doesn't it?)

I've completed 2 sessions (1 week) in the schedule now, and I'm sore. But I'm also excited and hopeful... I'll let you know how things process over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment