Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Usual

Quick correction: Yesterday my girl-power high apparently got the better of me, and it occurred to me that I had said I wanted to "take over the world." That should have said "take on the world," or "save the world," or some sort of non-world-domination-sounding variation. While sometimes I think I could do a better job than the world leaders we have, I could not, would not, and have no desire to take over the world.

I am not a professional restaurant critic, but if I was, I would rave about "Bleu" - a restaurant that is here in Winston-Salem. Last night my friend Laura treated me to a birthday dinner there. It is our "treat ourselves" place that we go to on occasion because we love the atmosphere, the service, and of course, the food.

Usually I like to order different things when I go to a place like Bleu, because every item on the menu makes my mouth water. But Laura and I have committed ourselves to a "usual." And even though we only go once in a while, we hope that eventually the staff will recognize us and just ask, "Will you have the usual?" Maybe they'll even see us coming and have it ready for us when we are seated! Funny, the things I like to imagine... I think everyone must secretly want to have a "usual"... I think it's tied to our desire to be truly known...

Anyway, our "usual" at Bleu is the grilled salmon and asparagus in lemon butter sauce, and loaded sweet potatoes with toasted marshmellows and nuts on top. There is just something about the combination of those flavors that is just heavenly. So if you're in town and are looking for a treat, go to Bleu and ask for the Connie-Laura Usual. And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment