Thursday, October 21, 2010

Youth Night Kodak moments

I don't have any pictures to post today, but I sure wish I did. Last night's Youth Night was full of Kodak moments, such as...

- when the girls raked a big pile of leaves together and then the guys dove head-first into them... and promptly got buried alive by the girls, who were upset that the guys stole their idea.

- when the boys v. girls soccer game turned into more of a tackle-football game.

- when one of the volunteers actually had three of the boys reading science books for fun.

- when the kids sat down at study tables and asked for help from their "favorite" tutors... and every tutor was picked by some kid.

- when one volunteer spontaneously started a game of "duck, duck, goose" that everyone got in on.

- when the adults all helped herd the kids on the bus at the end of the night, hugging the kids and telling them they loved them, and then stood by and waved good-bye as they drove away.

We actually have a great, strong core group of about eight voluteers who come out to help now - thank you to those of you who prayed for that! They are such a blessing because they are full of energy, really smart, really fun, and they really do love the youth.

As the "director" with lots of helpers, I find myself not needing to do a whole lot, so I have been praying for opportunities to talk with the youth more personally. Last night, my favorite time was when I was in the kitchen, and kids came in to have a snack or drink. They aren't allowed to wander around the house with such things, so while they munched, I got to be Auntie Connie and ask about their homework, their day, their friends, and their life. I'm really enjoying them, and so glad for the time we have together.

And next time, I'll try to take some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment